Energy Program Associate
Posted: September 26, 2017
Location: Washington, DC or San Francisco Bay Area
Stewards of Affordable Housing for the Future (SAHF) is a network of thirteen multistate not-for-profit owners and developers of affordable multifamily properties. SAHF has long recognized the importance of energy and water conservation for preserving affordable housing. SAHF’s energy and water conservation work is organized around the Big Reach, an initiative in which each SAHF member has committed to reduce portfolio-wide energy and water consumption 20% by 2020.
A major responsibility of the Energy Program Associate will be to support Bringing Sustainability Home, a new SAHF program focused on boosting uptake of utility-run energy efficiency programs and the use of healthy building practices among multifamily affordable housing providers. The Energy Program Associate also will play a lead role in providing technical assistance to SAHF members in support of their Big Reach goal as well as developing tools and resources both independently and through engagement with SAHF members, service providers, and consultants. The Associate also will collect and analyze data on our progress and the most promising/fruitful approaches.
The position will report to SAHF’s Senior Vice President for Energy, who works remotely based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Associate may be based in either SAHF’s Washington, DC office or the Bay Area. Regardless of where the position is located, the job will include some travel to conferences and meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum three years’ experience in energy efficiency efforts which could include working for or with energy service providers, utilities, or owners/managers of multifamily or commercial real estate with a focus on energy management.
- Experience with data management tools; experience with utility data management tools such as ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager preferred.
- Track record in conducting outreach and developing and maintaining collaborative relationships.
- Demonstrated project management experience, including budget management and writing reports.
- Ability to take initiative and to work independently with remote supervision.
- Self-motivated team player with advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and strong written and verbal communications skills.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree in a related field.
- A strong understanding of building energy efficiency, including efficiency measures, utility programs, and emerging technologies for sustainable construction and retrofits in multifamily housing.
- Knowledge of healthy building programs and practices.
- Experience providing training and/or technical assistance related to energy management.
- Problem solver and strategic thinker able to keep the big picture in mind while tracking details.
- An understanding of affordable housing operations and subsidy programs.
- SAHF is an equal opportunity employer where diversity is considered an asset.
- To apply, email a detailed resume and a cover letter (in PDF format) to: email@example.com. Please address in the cover letter past experience working independently or with remote supervision.
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- The position will be filled as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we are unable to speak personally with everyone who contacts us. Candidates demonstrating ability that match our needs will be contacted for an interview.