Affordable Housing Policy Intern
Posted: October 21, 2016
Stewards of Affordable Housing for the Future (SAHF) is seeking a talented intern to help us apply policy solutions in the field of housing and community development. Prefer 20 hours per week, but schedule may be flexible. All work must be performed in SAHF’s offices, located near Gallery Place Metro Station. Position begins in January 2017; candidates must commit to remain available until at least June 1, with the potential to extend until later in the spring.
LOCATION: Washington, DC—Union Station area
COMPENSATION: $11.50-15 per hour depending on qualifications
TO APPLY: e-mail resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please
- Identify and effectively communicate complex legislative and regulatory issues involving federal housing tax credits and rental housing programs of the U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Draft legislative and regulatory comment letters to Congress and Federal agencies.
- Support SAHF members’ congressional outreach and engagement.
- Learn and write about members’ projects and program issues and the impacts of affordable rental property construction, rehabilitation, and operations in serving low-income households and creating access to opportunity.
- Create fact sheets and profiles on residents, properties, programs, and outcomes related to affordable rental housing.
- Stay up-to-date on current issues related to affordable rental housing policy.
- Participate in staff discussions and attend hearings, coalition meetings, and industry events.
- Organize and keep current an effective public policy Share Point site for one SAHF member.
- Bachelors degree required; advanced degree awarded or in progress is preferred.
- Keen interest and excitement about affordable housing policy and eagerness to learn more about the field.
- Quick thinker with the ability to synthesize and research topical information to formulate policy positions.
- Excellent oral and written communicator with ability to work with software programs such as Share Point.
- Strong team member and customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated collaborator and successful team member.
- Capitol Hill or other legislative experience is a plus.
This is a temporary, non-exempt position paid on an hourly basis. No vacation or other benefits are offered with this position.